Thursday, January 21, 2010

Getting it in Gear

It would be nice if I was referring to my writing but I'm not. Don't get me wrong I'm still chugging ahead in that arena, but as alaways it's slow going. I'm talking about finally getting out of the chair and getting active. I've been wanting to take karate lessons for ages, but, due to varying circumstances, was not able to sign up until recently. I've only been to about four classes so far, but I'm having a ball. Yes, it's a little bit of a system shock to go from minimal exercise to a very high energy/high impact sport, but the soreness is so worth it. Im' up and moving and toning up, and I'm learning something new in the process.
That's a big thing for me. If what I'm doing doesn't engagement mentally then I'll quickly get bored with it and sooner or later stop. That's why gyms have never worked for me in the past. Free weights, treadmills, whatever are so mind numbing to me it's not funny. The only thing I really enjoyed about gyms were the classes and even then I could take it or leave it. Personally, I really wish that there were more organized activities for adults. I've been saying for ages that if there were some sort of adult league team sport that was actually serious about the sport I'd sign up in a heartbeat. So I guess that's part of what makes karate so great for me, the people that are in class are serious about and dedicated to what they are doing. I want to learn not just be humored. Im' so thrilled that I've found that and that I'm able to do something that's interesting and get back in shape at the same time.
So my little piece of unsolicited advice find an activity that you enjoy, that engages your mind, and gets you up and moving. Regardless of whether it's Wii Fit, karate, riding a stationary bike, or walking, whatever works for you just do it and stick with it. Yes, I know that's Nike's catch phrase, but it's applicable. :)

2 comments:

KM Fawcett said...

I'm glad you're enjoying karate. Not only is it great exercise, but I find it very empowering as well.

KM Fawcett

Rayna Vause said...

I really am having a great time, despite the soreness. LOL!